The 2016 Vermont Wine and Harvest Festival is coming up this fall, and people all over the Green Mountain State are getting excited! Each year, the festival attracts winemakers from over a dozen Vermont wineries as well as several spirits distillers and arts and crafts vendors. Over the course of one weekend, guests can enjoy a wide variety of events including tastings, dinners, wine parties, live entertainment, and much more! If you’re a fan of all things vino, book your stay with GetAway Vacations and check out the annual Vermont Wine and Harvest Festival.
Explore the Vermont Wine and Harvest Festival
Wilmington Village Stroll & Soup Contest
On Friday, September 16, the festival kicks off with a preview tasting of Vermont wines and cheeses during a village stroll in the center of Wilmington. Guests can listen to outdoor entertainers, walk through the historic village, and sample soups from the Valley’s chefs. The town’s shops, galleries, and restaurants will all be featuring Vermont wines and local soups from 5 to 7 PM.
Grand Tasting at Mount Snow Resort
The next day, head to Mount Snow Resort in West Dover where you can enjoy the biggest event of the Vermont Wine and Harvest Festival – the grand tasting! Enjoy sampling dozens of Vermont’s finest wines, spirits, cheeses, and farm-fresh products, all while enjoying live music from local bands. There will also be over 70 vendors on site, including potters, jewelers, painters, and photographers. Feel free to take a break from the tents and ride the Bluebird lift for a summit view of Southern Vermont’s glorious fall foliage.
When the sun goes down, stay for a special Prix Fixe wine dinner at 6 PM and the 2016 Deerfield Valley Rotary Wine Tasting and Auction. There will also be a Wine & Harvest after party from 8 PM to midnight. Check the festival website for frequent updates and information!
Wine Tasting Tips
If you’re not sure where to begin when it comes to sampling wine, you’re in luck! We have a few wine tasting tips and tricks that will help you make the most of your day at the Wine and Harvest Festival.
- Study the program before you begin tasting to get to know the vineyards. Be brave and try wines that are new to you!
- Don’t feel obligated to swallow what the pourers put in the glass – it’s okay to use a spit cup! If you find a wine you like, you can always ask for a second pour to taste it again.
- Start with white wines, then roses, then reds. Take at least two sips before you decide if you like a wine or not.
- Ask questions! The best part of a wine festival is being able to chat with pourers and the other guests at the tasting tables.
- Go slowly, take some time to eat, and drink plenty of water. Remember that Mount Snow is a higher elevation, and the climate itself can be dehydrating.
- And, most importantly, have fun!
Come Home to GetAway Vacations
Now that you know all about the Vermont Wine and Harvest Festival, it’s time to book your stay at one of our Killington vacation rentals! Nestled in the heart of the Green Mountains, our gorgeous homes feature cozy fireplaces, sprawling living areas, private hot tubs, and more that will make your fall getaway unforgettable. Enjoy hours of fun at the festival, then come back to total peace and serenity and get ready for another day of adventure tomorrow. We can’t wait to see you soon!
Photo Credit: Thomas Jackson | Thinkstock